3/13/12

Iron Chef Ward Party

 
We had an "Iron Chef Competition" ward party last Saturday.  Since the church abolished the activities calling, now they just ask people in the ward to head up each activity.  I drew the short straw this go around.  They asked me to do an Emergency Preparedness display - I just got released as Emergency Preparedness leader on Sunday, so I guess it was my "swan song" as someone announced last week. Now I'm the new Enrichment leader.  I probably shouldn't have done the s'more bar last time. :) 
Anyway, back to the party.  Everyone was asked to sign-up to bring an appetizer, salad, main dish, or dessert.  After we all signed up they told us the secret ingredient.........Peanut Butter and/or Top Ramen. 
I signed up for an appetizer (I thought the secret ingredient was bacon, but they changed it last minute) and brought Peanut Butter Banana Cereal Muffins.  I didn't think they were that good, but the judges did, so that's what counts, right?!  I won this cute embroidered apron and a gift card to Jamba Juice. 
Funny story about the muffins..... I was at the church setting up my displays, and when I called Adam to tell him I would be a few more minutes (this is about 1 hr before the party), he told me that he had fallen asleep on the couch for a few minutes and Grant pulled a chair up to the counter and smashed all my muffins.  He was having a grand old time taking off the wrappers, and then squishing them or putting sunglasses through them.  I was able to cut some of the smashed parts off and some of them were still unscathed.
 
 The displays - 72 hour kits
 Storage options
 How to USE or cook with food storage.  I finished my wonder oven and made bread in it (see it in the sack, round bread?).  It's neat.  I'll do a post about that sometime soon.
 While we were eating, we had a surprise Iron Chef Competition.  4 people had to come up and make something from a secret ingredient........spam.  Hannah (our cute babysitter) was one of the lucky participants. 


 Noah loves these parties because he gets to run around in the halls at church.
 Grant loves them for the piles of food he gets to devour.
Ava loves the food, but also loves running around with the boys.  The party turned out nice, and we had great attendance, so I consider it a success.

No comments: