6/25/12

New Free Orange Sofa

 
 No, we didn't get this off of Craigslist (even though we do make quite a few purchases from there).  We actually had it special ordered from a furniture store here.  
 
So this is how we got it free.  Remember this leather sofa?  We bought it at Costco about 4 years ago, for our front room, in our Salt Lake house.  We still liked it, but wanted something different for this house.  After we painted the walls a light gray and decided what our future plans are for this room, Adam decided we needed a little color.  I didn't complain (I didn't think he would ever agree to an orange sofa, so I only mentioned it occasionally and never pushed the issue).  He told me I could pick the fabric and we both agreed on the sofa.  Anyway, back to the old leather one.  We were planning to post it on craigslist in a few months, once we were ready to buy another couch, for a couple hundred dollars.  Well, about 3 or 4 months ago we noticed the leather was starting to look worn, and within a couple of weeks, it started tearing.  I figured we would just have to live with it and sell it for pennies, but Adam said he was going to call Costco and just see what they said.  We knew it was not under warranty anymore, but Adam said that type of leather shouldn't wear out that fast (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact it was our fort building couch).  Costco sent out a repair guy, and he said it was unrepairable and he would let Costco know.  They called us back and said they would refund the entire purchase price (shipping included)!!  I couldn't believe it.  I have always LOVED Costco, but now I REALLY love them.  They sent some guys out to pick up the sofa, and Noah had a melt down.  He cried and cried because they were taking our couch.  He has a really hard time with letting things go.  The guys took me outside and told me we could just keep it, because it was going to the dump anyway.  I told them just to take it (as soon as they drove away, I regretted that decision, because it took us 3 month to get a new couch, and I know so many people who would have taken it - the tear was only on 1 cushion).  So, a few days later we received our check in the mail for a complete refund.  A few weekends later (I'm indecisive and had to check out every furniture store, and then think about all of them for a few weeks), we went to Scandinavian designs (we did feel a little guilty for not getting another sofa from Costco, but we didn't like any of their current styles) and ordered our ORANGE sofa.  The orange sofa was almost exactly the same amount we paid for the Costco one, so basically free.  I know, technically we had to pay for the leather one 4 years ago, but we got to use the couch for 4 years, retire it, and then get refunded for it.  Not a bad deal, if I do say so myself.  The new sofa took almost 3 months to get here, and arrived about 2 hours before our visitors arrived. 
I need to get a better picture of it.  This one is a little muted for some reason.  It is quite bright.

5 comments:

Erika Ellis said...

That couch is AWESOME!

Becca said...

I guess to get to your house all the way from Scandanavia would take about three months...

Super cute! I love the bright color!

bethany said...

Happy b-day awhile ago! Love your pictures and yourself.

mammasweet said...

We surely enjoyed your new sofa! Rob and I love Costco!

The Yoder's Five said...

SCORE! I love orange. What a sweet deal.

Hope Ava is feeling better! Poor girl!